Lynne Rosetto Kasper and her wonderful show kept me company on my last plane ride with Rob en route to a race. I love the The Splendid Table! She had a guest chef on with a recipe for tomato soup. It was so simple and I could just smell the aromas while I was listening to the show. So Saturday when I had a holiday party to go to and realized I hadn’t eaten since breakfast I needed something fast. We’ve all been there right? This soup was amazing and is just the thing when you are hungry and need something quick and easy.
- A few tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic smashed
- 2 28 oz cans whole peeled tomatoes packed in tomato juice
- 1/4 – 2/3 cup cream
- 1 cup water
- A couple teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each of red pepper flakes, oregano, celery seed
- A couple twists of black pepper
- 1 tbs sugar
- Warm oil in a soup pot
- Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent and soft
- Add tomatoes, cream, water, spices, and sugar
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Blend with an immersion blender
How can you not pair this with a grilled cheese?
We used a sun-dried tomato spread, sourdough bread, and plenty of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.